Client | Transport for NSW
Location | Sydney, New South Wales
Role | Advisor and Business Case Development
At 444 operational carriages, the Tangara train fleet represents about 30% of the Sydney Trains’ fleet and is second in number only to the Waratah fleet.
As Tangara is expected to remain in service beyond 2030, it is desirable that passenger features be brought up to the standard of the modern fleets.
The Tangara Technology Upgrade (TTU) project is a mid-life intervention scoped to ensure availability and reliability performance does not deteriorate as the Tangara fleet ages. Accordingly, the program will upgrade or replace obsolete systems and provide Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport (DSAPT) compliance.
Scope of Work
- Developing a Gate 3 business case and a Gate 4 business case on various proposed upgrades to be conducted for the Tangara fleet as part of the TTU project
- Working with the technical advisor to undertake an assessment of the implications of including additional passenger amenity and security elements, taking into consideration commercial (cost, risk and program) implications of increasing the scope of the current program against undertaking the works at a later date as a separate package of works
- Conducting a qualitative assessment of the benefits of implementing the increased scope of works
- Undertaking a value for money assessment by assessing the benefits and costs of including CCTV, DVA and Passenger Information Displays as part of the TTU scope of work compared to implementing them at a later date
- Successfully collating a range of information and data from various sources to inform assessment and to complete the business cases
- Delivering a comprehensive value-for-money assessment for the proposed TTU upgrade measures through successful liaison with high-level TfNSW stakeholders
- Delivering the Gate 3 and Gate 4 business cases on time and under very challenging timeframes